Lesson 1, Topic 2
Heeling Training Video How to Get Rid of the Ball in the Left Hand
Heeling Training Video – How to Get Rid of the Ball in the Left Hand
The reason we heel with the ball in the left hand is to fix forging. Now we need to get rid of the ball.
One of the ways to stop heeling with a ball either under the arm on in your left hand is to do to the following:
- We still want the dog to spin to the left to get the ball to reduce the potential for forging.
- The Handler will put the ball in the left pocket.
- The Handler will mark the correct behavior.
- The Handler will have the dog spin left while responding to the left hand signal.
- Once the spin is completed, the Handler takes the ball out of the pocket and gives it to the dog.
- Of course, it is important to have total impulse control, so the dog does not grab the hand while the Handler is retrieving the ball.