Motor Skill 3 Follow the Ball
Motor Skill #3 – Follow the Ball
Before we place the ball under our arm and start heeling, we need to make certain that the dog possesses motor skills.
- Place the dog in Basic Position.
- Hold the ball above his head.
- First, you will start with 1 step and build up from there.
- Heel a few steps with the dog focused on the ball.
- Mark and drop the ball sightly to the left to avoid forging.
Please remember that we are not teaching Heeling, we are teaching the ability to walk with the head up. To differentiate one from the other, while walking with the ball, hold it slightly away from your body. This way, it will feel different to the dog.
Once your dog gets the rhythm, we can begin actual heeling.